Chasing Giants in Del Norte County.

I am lucky enough to be able to travel for work, this allows me to explore new areas and revisit old favorites. A couple years ago I camped and trekked through Mill Creek and spotted multiple Pacific Giant Salamander larvae and Neotenic adults but no large terrestrial adults. This has become my "white buffalo" of herping. Last week I was heading to Eureka CA for work and stopped in Del Norte county to hike the Damnation Creek Trail that takes you through the redwoods and lets out on the beach. Unfortunately Mill Creek was still closed for the season (opens May 15th). I did not spot any Pacific Giants not for lack of trying but wrong time of the year and not being able to access Mill Creek. Either way the trails were beautiful and full of life.

The Smith River. I took this shot 20ft from the freeway, the water is crystal clear and beautifully blue.

The Coastal redwoods along Damnation Trail.


 A Del Norte Variety of California Ensatina. These guys are abundant throughout the trails and came in a variety of colors. I found most of them hiding underneath loose bark on fallen redwoods and in pairs. They varied from 1-2.5 inches in length.


A Del Norte Black Salamander, this was my first time spotting one of these. I found this salamander closer to the coast underneath a newly fallen branch and resting on old bark. About 4.5 inches in length.


Del Norte Variety California Slender Salamander. A very common species throughout the trails and by far the fastest salamander I found. Every time I flipped a log or pulled back a piece of bark that was harboring one of these salamanders, they took off in a full heat upon sunlight. Found in rotting wood and under bark, sizes varied between 3-4.5 inches.


California Red back Salamander. I found 2 of these guys both about 2.25 inches in length and under fallen branches resting on moss.


Northwest Garter snake. I nearly grabbed this guy while I reached out to flip a log, he was basking in the sunlight that had broken through the canopy.


Wandering Salamander. Faster and harder to photograph than the Slender salamander. A first spotting of the species for me. The marbling pattern along the back is incredible, offering amazing camouflage for this juvenile. I only spotted two of these salamanders both under the bark of a fallen redwood and measuring 2-2.5 inches in length.   



A young Ensatina.


Banana Slug. Spotting these slugs gives me hope for finding a Pacific Giant, they are a favored meal of the salamanders.


A Blueish Beetle (im not sure of the species). It looks as if I had interrupted lunch.


These Fire engine red mushrooms were popping up all over shaded wet areas.



* A brief ethics note regarding my field herping. I always put the subjects of my photographs back where I find them and carefully replace any log, bark or branch I turn over to its original place and position. It is very important to keep their habitat in the same condition you have found it. Leave with only photos and no tracks!

3 comments:

  1. Living vicariously through your pictures! You have awesome adventures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are amazing! Nice work Brown Bear!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.