Weekend in Bend

 I was in Bend this weekend for the Bend Beer festival, it was packed (as to be expected). The vast ocean of people was reminiscent of the legions of shoppers on black friday. Drunken hordes aside it was a great opportunity to sample other breweries and different beers. As soon as the opportunity presented itself I snuck off into the woods to catch my breath and escape the word Bro, Bruh or any other variation of the word. A local was kind enough to offer insight and advice on some great spots. I only made it to a couple of the recommended spots (I will visit the others next time).

First stop: Sparks Lake, located about 23 miles outside of town. The water seemed low, my only reference is photos I saw on google. The low water level made it easier to explore a couple spots that may have otherwise been a challenge.



Like this rock formation.


A view of the Southern Sister from the above rock formation.


Garter snakes were in abundance, this little guy (about 8 inches) was the only one not quick enough to evade my camera. 


Western Toads were scattered along the shore line, most were about an inch in size.


A leech, natures freeloader. This pudgy invertebrate was swimming in the shallows tormenting the local  paddle boarders.


A Jumping Spider. Im not sure the specie, Phidippus Johnsoni?



This Chipmunk came up and grabbed the granola bar I was eating when I set it down to take the above photo. This brazen beast stayed and ate the remainder of the bar while I took its photo. In case you are wondering what kind of bar (for science), it was a toasted honey and grain Kind bar.


Cheeks full of stolen goods!



No comments

Powered by Blogger.